Wednesday, April 3, 2013

They came! They came!


This is proof.  My parents were in Jarabacoa!  Unfortunately the weather was a little less than pleasant....all my Dad's fears of the humidity were lay to rest as it was the coldest it's been since I moved here and rained pretty consistently.  But, despite the conditions, Mom and Dad were both found wearing shorts.  I on the other hand was bundled up the entire time.  My how quickly your blood thins out....

It was a quick visit but certainly enough for them to see several things...

1) People are poor and there is great need
2) I live in a comfortable and "safe" house
3) I have a great support system
4) Dominican drivers are worse than NY drivers
5) The roads I travel are difficult in the rain
6) There is nothing to do for fun, haha, ok, almost nothing

I hope and pray that my Mom left with her mind a bit more at ease and a little less worry captivating her Spirit!

The next two months bring a season of rest from teams before the summer begins and we have 3 non-stop months of groups.

I am greatly looking forward to having this time of rejuvenation.  Often as missionaries our attention is divided between speaking and living into the lives of American students who are serving alongside us and the Dominicans we are here to serve.  I am excited to focus solely on the Dominican aspect of my ministry.

The Lord has been stirring in my heart to really change the way I've been doing several things.  Please join me in praying about meeting the needs of two separate challenges.  The first being, of course, able to provide low cost, effective, on-going health care.  The second is offering affordable medicines so patients are able to actually stay on their medications long term and uninterrupted.

I'm excited to spend this time drafting up goals for my site, brain storming and hopefully improving how we can give good medical care.

I continue to be encouraged as each week I return to a community, a patient also returns for follow up.  It is such a blessing to bring medicine to remote campos and to patients who would otherwise go untreated.

If I may also ask you to pray about a Dominican coming alongside and serving at my site.  I'm in desperate need of consistent help by someone interested in medicine, who loves the Lord and is good with people.  I'm praying about hiring a nursing or medical student to help me in the communities.  It's so exciting to see how my site has grown in only 3 months!  To think I already need full time help!

Thank you for your continued love and encouragement, please know it doesn't go without notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment