Tuesday, July 16, 2013

HRC in Jarabacoa!!

I admit it.  I have been dreading this post.  To write this entry means they have left.  HRC.

I had been looking forward to the past two weeks for a year.  To the time when my home church would take their yearly trip to Jarabacoa and serve with Students International.  

Only this time they would be coming to my home and I would be a welcoming missionary. 

PT, Dental and Medical Sites from Hopewell!
Alex, Dr. Fernando, Me, Oscar, Chrissy, Joanna, Jeff
Lourdes, Andres

To say I was excited and anticipating their arrival is an understatement.  I was counting down the hours.

And the two weeks of service together was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Hopewell came with servant's hearts.  14 youth led by four adults (two of whom are occupational therapists) filling our sites with love, humility, kindness, grace, encouragement, and service.  I was so proud that these incredible people were from my home!

Hopewell team spending team time in my house!
These youth fund raised, worked and gave up part of their summer to further God's kingdom in the DR.  You could find them serving at Genesis (our special education school), women's social work site in Los Higos, Men's Sports, Physical Therapy, Microfinance, Medical with Dr. Fernando, and Dentistry.  

Both as a site leader and host of many different mission groups throughout the year, it is so easy to forget how impactful a short term mission trip truly is.  I only see what's going on in the lives of the students at my site, not behind the scenes.

But, the past two weeks Hopewell embraced me and allowed me into their family.  And I remembered.  

During team time and down time, this incredible team allowed me into their lives.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  They showed me their faith, doubts, fears, struggles and joys.  We shared inadequacies and hindrances.  We laughed, shed tears and stood amazed at the work Christ has done for us.

And.  I was encouraged.

These incredible youth will be our leaders.  And they have passion.  And huge hearts.  And want to help.  But, above all, they love the Lord.  And they want to serve him.

So, thank you...Lourdes, Jeff, Sharon, Fran, Oscar, Andres, Justina, Jenny, Meghan, Chelsie, Tyler, Shawn, Tyler, Mason, Chrissy, Jessica, Joanna and Alex.  I so appreciate how you let me live life with you, if only for a couple weeks.  You amaze me!  I am beyond grateful for the joy you each gave to myself, other missionaries and Dominicans.  I know God has huge plans for each of you.

Miss you all so very much already!  Until next year.....hint hint hint










No comments:

Post a Comment