Monday, March 21, 2016

Holy Week

Semana Santa.  Holy Week.  

I've always found the week before Easter to be incredibly special.  To walk through Jesus's steps as He prepared for His entire purpose.  Palm Sunday.  The Last Supper.  Good Friday.  Easter Sunday.  

But this year, my Holy week is spent differently.  Instead of having the spring break I had planned, I find myself in upstate-border of Canada NY with snow falling gently outside my window and preparing one of the great women in my life for her death.

I have been back in the states for two weeks and through that time my Mom's mom has stabilized but my Dad's mom has taken a turn for the worse and she has decided to stop chemo and dialysis.  It has been absolutely amazing to walk through that decision with her.  To be her primary care taker for two weeks and hear her stories, cook her meals and become the pill Nazi.  After being abroad for four years, it just feels so good to care for my Grandma the way I care for my Dominican patients.  To love her as a medical provider but also as a granddaughter. 

We don't expect her to live many more days.  Her hours awake are dwindling.  Hospice has been attending.  And the Priest will come soon.

But, what a Holy week it is.  For me.  For my family.  As my parents and I support my Grandma in her final days.  And as she faithfully looks forward to meeting her maker...and perhaps most of all to see her forever hunny....my Grandpa.

I so appreciate your continued prayers for my family and my dear friend Amy as she processes life without her Father.  We do feel so loved.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...so glad you were able to go home and be with her
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete