Friday, December 9, 2011

Messages

I didn't know what a missionary was until I was called to be one.  Truthfully.  I didn't understand what it meant to leave your family and friends and life as you know it to go serve in a foreign culture and country.  I had no concept of what it meant to fund raise.  I didn't understand what it meant to rely on the Holy Spirit to move within people to support your mission.  I had never even met a missionary!

So many have told me not to discount this next year.  This year of preparation and fund raising is a ministry in itself.  How can that be?  I didn't understand then, but I'm beginning to.  I met with a wonderful couple several nights ago to speak about my ministry.  They said something that truly stuck.  In addition to inviting people along for this journey, I can teach people what it means to be a missionary.  It is not horizontal giving (from wallets), it is vertical giving (from God).  It is a blessing to give in the name of Christ to enable people to spread His love and help others.  To help others in a place where they are unable to get help.  Where they are unable to pay for a health care provider, or teacher, or social worker, etc.

I remember before I had a relationship with Christ I didn't understand what people meant when they said God spoke to them.  Now, I find it difficult to believe that there was ever a point in my life when I was oblivious to all of His messages.  I still find that I very naively miss out on some.  But, luckily He keeps trying until I listen.  A very obvious message came to me after meeting with that couple.  The morning after we met, they sent me Philippians 4:18-20.  The importance of this scripture with my current journey is unmistakable.  But, I shrugged it off.  Later that day I sat down to do my devotionals, would you believe that was the exact scripture reading given to me?

"But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odor of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, well pleasing to God.  But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.  Now unto God and our Father be glory forever and ever.  Amen."  Philippians 4:18-20

Paul is talking about the wonderful support people were giving to him during his ministry.  He was teaching about the blessings bestowed upon those who generously gave.  The blessing of Christ's joy.  The blessing of peace.  The blessing of taking part in something so much bigger than themselves.

When I feel uncomfortable asking people for money, it is a reminder such as this that keeps me going.  As Christians we are encouraged to support one another.  Through prayer.  Through love.  Through financial means.  He will provide and people will rally together to support His ministry through me.  I have seen this.  As people are generously opening their hearts to the exciting journey I have ahead of me.

And, as I look ahead and get excited to begin, I realize it's already begun.  The beginning is not getting on the plane to Colorado.  I have already started my mission.  And I am thankful for being happy in the here and now.  And so grateful to all of those who have jumped on board and are in for the exciting ride that can only be driven by Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment