Monday, May 16, 2016

Who am I without the DR?

This morning I awoke gasping for air.  The roosters were crowing, motorcyclists were passing by as the low hum of bachata was playing in the distance.  And I was overcome with this overwhelming sense of mourning.

Who am I without the DR?

I just finished reading a book about transitioning home and how much our identity gets wrapped up in being a missionary (Looming Transitions by Amy Young).

A year ago I never could have imagined I would have peace with leaving a place I love so much.  You see, my love for this place hasn't ended.  In fact it just keeps growing.

All of those nuances that were so challenging 4 years ago have become comforts.  At this point more often than not I find myself more comfortable in a room full of Dominicans than Americans.

My idea of fun has change.  My world view has changed.  My dreams have changed.  And they are all wrapped up in the DR.

So who am I without this place?  Soon I will no longer live in an exotic tropical island.  My job will be "normal."  And my job title will actually have a description.  I will speak my native language.  My life will no longer consist of building relationships, cafecitos and providing medicine for the poorest of the poor.

Today my departure was announced at staff meeting and I had a meeting with my director about my despedida (going away party).  It's getting real people.

Most days I'm excited for whats to come.  A new adventure with new people and a new ministry field.  But, today I needed reminders that God is still in control.  Like He was at the start of my Dominican journey He will carry me through my American.

How blessed we are to have His constant presence wherever we go.  And that our identity is wrapped in Him and not this finite Earthly dwelling place.

Stay tuned as I continue processing the future....

1 comment:

  1. God bless you Rachel, you are an inspiration and one of my hero's. Mary and I are so proud of you and love you and your faithful heart. Jeremiah 29:11 Thank you so much for what you have done, we are excited to hear what God has in store for you back in the states. With blessings, prayers and love. David & Mary Pinyot

    ReplyDelete