Monday, June 6, 2016

Farewell Haitian Church

One of the greatest blessings of my ministry in Jarabacoa has been our partnership with Pastor NoJean's Haitian church in Buenos Aire.  We have spent the majority of Wednesdays during the past four years serving their congregation with medical care.



We have walked through babies being born and women dying far too young.  We have seen patients who would have otherwise died without our care and watched as some came to know Christ.  We've prayed together, laughed together and cried together.

We've had a pancake breakfast with a local school to fundraise for the church.  We've helped at pulgas (flea markets) and collected donations after a fire left close to 20 people homeless.  

Yesterday as I looked around this church, I realized this place that felt so foreign and uncomfortable to me so long ago has become like home.   Even though I haven't been in regular attendance at their Haitian church service (it's held in Creole) I absolutely feel embraced by them.  I knew almost every face in the congregation and had a story to match.  

How wonderful it was to worship together one last time.

Yesterday, Pastor NoJean invited both Katie and myself to stand before the church as we presented Katie as my replacement and they prayed for me.  I was brought close to tears when he called me a "daughter of the church."  I can't possible think of a greater honor.

And so, I give thanks to the Lord for allowing me to know these incredible followers of Him.  And will continue to pray for the partnership between this church and the community health site.


No comments:

Post a Comment