Sunday, September 16, 2012

In 52 days...


The electricity is out again.  But, this time there is rhyme and reason to the cause- it is thundering and torrentially down pouring outside.  Perfect time to write a blog update, by candle light, though I can only type for as long as my laptop battery allows….or I run out of my room because a cockroach desperate to escape the storm has crawled across my foot…

Today marks my 52nd day in the Dominican Republic.  In many ways it feels like an eternity, in others it feels like we were just celebrating my departure on my parent’s back patio.

It’s hard to place into words how my heart has already changed.  I was warned of this by other missionaries and in MTI.  The longer you live on the mission field, the harder it is to return home; to the materialistic world of abundance in the states.  Of course I take any advice that people give with open mindedness (or at least I try), but I can already see how true this actually may be.

Yesterday I had lunch with Catalina, my Colombian Spanish teacher who has become one of my closest friends here.  Afterwards we drove home.  On that drive we passed neighborhoods that just a month ago seemed so poor and desolate to me.  So, well to put it frankly, foreign.  I am surprised by how unsurprised I have become by these things in only a few month and how I am starting to accommodate to life here.

 
In two short months…..

*I am no longer shocked by the accommodations where people reside. 

*I no longer believe an oven is a requirement (or a garlic press, knife, dish towel, etc).

*I now think my 2001 suzuki with a crack across the windshield is a very nice car.

*I know how to effectively kill cockroaches (or at least fumigate them from any holes).

*I realize that even as a missionary (which compared to how lavishly I lived and the money I made in the states is far less) I am more wealthy than most Dominicans.

*I realized that in a developing country that they are incredibly grateful for anything from the States.  Second hand clothing is worn proudly, which to me is a paradox.  Great that perfectly good clothes are being put to good use and meeting a need, but sad that we send things to other countries that aren’t good enough for us but we think are good enough for others.  Good or bad?  Not sure I know the answer.

*I’ve learned how quickly mold can grow in the heat.

*I’ve learned the best way to learn a language is to read the bible in that language….it is 100% grammatically correct.

*I’ve learned that in the States we just may have too many rules….

*I’ve learned that when Dominicans pull off the side of the road because it looks like its going to rain….it’s best to follow suit.

*I’ve learned how complicated the war against poverty truly is, and that so often when we are trying to help we are enabling and harming.  Again, another lesson without a clear solution.

*I realized I am being blessed by those I’m here to serve far more than I am blessing them.  I pray that changes with time, but I’m not sure it will.  It may just be a part of the kingdom of God.

*But, most importantly I have learned how deeply our creator cares for His creation.  Whenever I have started to feel alone, a missionary calls me.  Whenever I feel useless and unproductive as language school is all-consuming, I am given the opportunity to serve.  And when I can’t possibly tolerate one more night with cockroaches, I get a break (sorry to vent about the cucarachas).

 
I wish that I could tell you I stop getting surprised by answers to trivial prayers.  I wish I could say that becoming a missionary has changed my human failures, but then I would be lying.  I am still amazed when God works in my life and through others.  I am still amazed that the creator of the estrellas (stars) even cares about us.  But, I guess it’s that amazement that will continue my passion for sharing His love for little us.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post Rachel! I could relate to so many of the things on your list. So thankful that the Lord brought you to the DR!

    ReplyDelete