Monday, August 22, 2011

Prayer Warriors

"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid, for the Lord God is my strength and my might; he has become my salvation."  Isaiah 12:2

Several weeks ago I shared that I had become discouraged.  That I was overwhelmed by thoughts that were not typical of me.  During that time I spoke to a very dear friend who asked when I felt the most connected to Christ.  I replied when I was on my interview in the DR, that I knew I had prayer warriors who were praying for His will to be done.  She suggested something so simple and obvious.  I needed those prayer warriors throughout this next year, as I step outside of my comfort zone and begin fundraising.  And so, my prayer cards were created.  I can't tell you the immense difference I feel since asking specific people to pray for specific things.  The power of prayer is so incredible.  Allow me to share with you how it has helped me just in the last couple of weeks.

The heart of my parents has completely changed over this past year.  From supportive of whatever I do but not really "getting it" to being my biggest supporters.  Example- behind our house a new house on 30 acres of land has been created.  My Mom has been dying to meet our neighbors.  So, she finally convinced my Dad on their way home from shopping last weekend to stop by.  Our new neighbors are devout Christians and my parents were able to share with them my calling.  To perfect strangers!  Within several days a brown paper bag sat on our front step with a book about a young female missionary from the 1800s who went abroad to India and an encouraging letter, to me.....from a total stranger!!  The book came at the right time as I was feeling overwhelmed and thinking, what can a single young 26 year old girl really do?  Answered prayers.

This weekend, on Saturday I sat down with my dear friends who are missionaries with a wonderful campus ministry called Disciplemakers.  I can't recall feeling more humbled than when leaving them.  I met with them to share how God has been working in my life, as friends.  Not only have they showed faithfully that they believe in my ministry but they offered to be fundraising mentors for me!  What a blessing!  I feel so isolated from Students International so to have people willing to help stateside is incredible.  They also want me to visit them in Penn State and set up meetings with a bunch of their missionary friends who greatly believe in international missions.  Where did all this come from?  Only above.

On Sunday, I wasn't planning to attend morning church but go on a hike in Mohonk and then attend late afternoon church.  A thunderstorm seemed to ruin our plans.  A friend of mine and I decided to go to Arlington Reformed Church, to wait out the rain, then go biking in New Paltz.  It was soon very evident this was the right plan.  We walked in 20 minutes late.  The head pastor at that church was my Youth Pastor when I went to Mexico so has seen my transformation.  Of course he announced us to everyone, being the lovely on the spot kind of guy he is.  But then during prayer time he had me stand up and his congregation pray for me about the DR.  Wow!  Afterwards, I was able to share with people about this journey.  And I loved it!  Maybe public speaking won't be so bad.  I forgot how fun it is to share God's work in my life with people who haven't been with me since the beginning.  To show how the puzzle pieces fit.  And with my conversation I gained a new prayer supporter and financial supporter.  He is good!  He is encouraging me!

I often say, I just want to be there.  But God showed me this past weekend what an important step this next year will be.  To have the opportunity to meet people I never would have in the past.  To find prayer warriors which are just as important, if not more so, then financial supporters.  I look forward to sitting down with many of you in person and sharing stories!

I pray that we all have open eyes to seeing His work in our lives.  Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! This is only the beginning of those awesome things happening...and if I may be so bold as to add all the Guatemalans/Dominicans you've met recently! From work to church in the city to many, many more in the future...

    ReplyDelete