Saturday, October 22, 2011

Odyssey

I confess that I spend many days wishing that I weren't living at home.  Don't get me wrong, there are parts I do love.  I love seeing my parents on a day to day basis.  I love the beautiful mid-hudson valley and I love the small amount of friends I have left.  But, the best part of living at home is being involved in Hopewell Reformed Church.  I am so blessed to have such a strong church body and community of believers to look to and guide me on my journey.

One of the ministries I've been involved with is called Odyssey.  Odyssey is a church plant of HRC for people with cognitive and physical disabilities.  It started about 3 years ago with 4 people and has grown into a congregation of approximately 80-100 people.  This ministry has been such a blessing.  We're talking about a population that is often looked over.  Are people with disabilities brought to church?  Sometimes.  By their families growing up.  But, once they are older and are placed in group homes run by the state there no longer is an emphasis to bring them to church.  Not to mention many church services are difficult for people with disabilities.  To sit still. To be quiet.  To sing.  To hold hands and speak to one another.  To try and understand a sermon.

I of course speak from experience.  I remember many years of growing up with my brother where my Mom would spend the whole service making sure Jamie behaved and wasn't too loud or have an explosive episode.  This is where Odyssey is incredible, and the people who have really been committed to this ministry.  We sing. We have a sermon.  We pray.  We make a craft.  All on a level that people with developmental challenges can understand!  So what if people talk during the service.  Or have to get up to walk around?  We don't care.  

And let me tell you, neither does God.  I have never been in a place where God is more tangible than in an Odyssey service.  I selfishly say that I probably get more out of an Odyssey service than any of the people with disabilities.  Jesus is with the weak.  Oh yes.  

I bring this to your attention today because on Wednesday night we changed things up a bit.  Our church has been studying Philippians and being joyful through all the days of our lives.  We have been conducting small group bible studies for the past 5 weeks.  The first 4 weeks were at peoples houses but this week we decided to have the last bible study at Green Brier, a nursing home for people with disabilities.

I can't tell you how excited this nursing home was to have us.  If there's one thing you need to know about people who have disabilities, they love love love to show people where they live.  Well, most, except my brother who would just prefer to live in a dark cave by himself, haha.  But don't worry, we force him to socialize :) We had 26 people, not including the 5 of us visiting!

I speak of this night because I had a realization as we were teaching about keeping joy through the hard times.  My faith fails in comparison to many within this population.  I don't want to generalize, but it seems everyone who spoke had such a pure, uncomplicated, deep belief in Christ.  I believe that Jesus speaks to each of us in our own language.  And let me tell you, I am convinced that some of these people actually see Him.  That He chooses to reveal himself in a visual way.

I also realized that intelligence gets in the way of our belief.  We try to rationalize or find proof of our belief.  God doesn't ask us to do that.  He asks us to believe, wholeheartedly and without reservation, to have faith.  My scientific/medical brain constantly wants to have proof.  Whether it's some crazy way the Holy Spirit has worked in my life or proof that this world just could not have been made without God.  I find myself envious of how Odyssey people believe and worship without reservation.  Shouting to their maker with hands held high.  Not caring what people think.  Trusting that they are in the hands of the one who loves them most.

I pray that we may all be more like Odyssey people.  That we may love Jesus without reservation or doubts.  Without caring what other people think of us.  That we may follow his will for us.  That we (I) may stop looking for earthly proof to his existence, but look around us, to the people who surround us.  And the Holy Spirit that is shining through in normal day to day life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment