Monday, October 20, 2014

I didn't know they were hungry...

Where do we draw the line between "When Helping Hurts" and Christ's mandate to give all to the poor?

I find myself pondering this question a lot these past few days.  The new shift in missions is towards accountability, to being met halfway by the people we are serving and icks-naying free hand outs.  

For the most part.

I agree with this ideology.  We (people in general) have unintentionally ruined relationships by giving of our own volition creating a hazardous dependency in which once we (the provider) have been removed from a situation the receiver fails to stand on their own two feet.

The new mission model has created a beautiful partnership.  And, as someone who uses this model daily, it works.  My patients have dignity and our relationships have freedom without the weight of dependence.

But.  Then I was confronted with a new situation.

Last week, I went to visit a patient whom I see weekly.  We always arrive at her house in the afternoons, after meal time.  I knew her family was poor.  I knew 6 of them lived in one small room.  I knew her husband hasn't had work for 5 months.  But, I guess I didn't understand how that translated into their day to day living.

This family is hungry

They are not eating daily.  And when I ask, they already feel like I've done so much for them, and so they lie.  

This brought to fore front my previous question.  In the New Testament Christ makes it obvious that we are to give to the poor.  Most notably in Luke 12:33 

"Sell your possessions and give to the poor."

But how much?  I could feasibly drop off food every week and help them with gas and electricity....they are used to living on such a low standard of living I'm sure they could survive on $100/month.  And I could probably cut back on my own lifestyle and afford to help them, but would that be healthy?  Probably not on either side.  But they are hungry and are more than just faces to me, they are friends.  And so of course I want to help.  

But how much giving is too much?  Not enough?  Where do we as Christians find that healthy, Christ-mandated balance?

In this circumstance, Fernando and I have begun looking and praying for a job for the husband.  Of course in many circumstances in an impoverished country work is the key to many financial hardships.  But what if that doesn't happen?  In the DR, unemployment rates are high.  Especially for Haitians.  Will dropping off a bag of rice and beans every week damage our friendship?  Or do I let my friends go hungry?

Please join me in praying for this ethical dilemma.  I trust "what would Jesus do" to help guide me....so help me find....what would He do?

Dr. Fernando reviewing anatomy with our medical assistant
Caroly in our clinic in Angosto




No comments:

Post a Comment