Sunday, November 27, 2011

A little bit of Dominican in the States

This weekend was my dream weekend in the States.  I had a glimpse of what my life will be when in full time ministry, and in the DR!  The Dominican doctor that I will be working with in the DR and who is a medical missionary with Students International came to the US to do his fund raising tour.  To meet with supporters and talk about how Christ continues to bless his ministry.  He does this every year, but was able to bring his wife this time!

Saturday night we had dinner at the Pearsons house, who are the founders of an organization called Sowers of the Kingdom.  They do short term mission trips to the DR and it was through this organization that I first got a taste of the immense medical need!  I have since been back with them 3 times (with my Mom on one of the trips!) and once I live in the Dom Rep will get to partner with them several weeks a year.  Dr. Fernando has had the blessing to do so as well.  Anyways, Sat night the Pearsons invited a couple of us over.  The night was filled with DR talk, dreaming, Christ and worship.  It was amazing for me to realize that after this weekend, the next time I see Fernando will be when I move to Jarabacoa, after language school!  We may actually converse in his native lingo!!

This morning was exciting at church, a week after I spoke, to have Fernando speak.  My medical partner in crime!  I just get so excited when I am with him.  We have such big dreams for health care out reach.  The sky is truly the limit.  Sometimes I have to reign myself in.  There are many steps to go through before I step foot again on Dominican soil!

This afternoon, I was able to bring Fernando to my office.  It was such a neat experience for me.  After spending so much time practicing medicine with him on the mission field showing him where I put on my fancy clothes and lab coat and sit at a polished desk day after day....dreaming about the day I get to get down and dirty in the mission field!  That he is spending his time in now!

This evening, Fernando was asked to lead worship at a Spanish church in Yorktown, NY.  This church has only been in existence for two years and was started by an incredible Columbian pastor who is gifted with church planting.  His congregation is predominantly new believers and is only the second Spanish speaking church in our area.  Which is incredible considering the large Spanish population.  Fernando led worship.  A man of many talents.  I was the only white person.  Yup, felt like I was in the DR!  What a way to end Thanksgiving break.  And, at the end of the church service when I was speaking to the pastor he invited me to come back and preach and give my testimony.  What a blessing.  Guess I'm getting over the whole hating public speaking thing??  Only through the strength of Christ.....

Fernando leading worship!

Fernando, Tita (his wife), Rosa, Pastor Nestor, Lourdes and myself

No comments:

Post a Comment