Friday, November 18, 2011

Poster done.  Fundraising packets made.  Speech written.  Dress picked out.  Family on board.  Liturgy papers received.  Wait, what?  Yup, I am the liturgist too.  I better not wet my pants from nerves or suffer from the "shakes."  I was hoping to give my speech and then run away into the sea of pews.  God has other plans.  And I will obey.  But, really God?  You know I hate public speaking.  You know this is really stretching me.  You know this is the thing I have been dreading since being accepted.  You know this will cause my anxiety level to sky rocket.....

But, incredibly it hasn't.  Never in a million years would I have thought that my fears of public speaking would transform into continued validation, peace and excitement for whats to come.  I cannot wait to wake every morning in the DR.  I cannot wait to live my life serving Jesus.  To spend time with the poor and do everything I can to give them hope and care.  I cannot wait to teach American students, about the love of Christ and about medicine.  I cannot wait to be fluent in Spanish and not need an interpreter at clinics.  I cannot wait.

Some of the greatest fears I have about public speaking (aside from everyone staring at me) is not knowing who is in the audience.  I'm trusting God will help me know when to tell my employer that I'm leaving.  But, I do not want a patient or fellow health care provider to beat me to the punch.  And, I've already had some close calls.  Guess this is that whole trusting thing again.  Trust Him in the small things and it will be easier to trust in the bigger.  Well here's to jumping off the plank into trust.  Because, who is going to be there as I get off that plane in Guatemala?  Who's going to be there as I am waking in strange places and stepping out of my comfort zone?  Who's going to provide for me?

I will try and take pictures of this Sunday and let you all know how it goes!!  Thank you for your continued prayers!!

And if you get a chance....check out Kim Streeter's blog about El Callejon.  El Callejon is a very poor community that SI ministers to through a social work site.  Kim moved to the DR several months ago and is doing an incredible ministry with the women (children, teens and adults) in that community!!
http://www.meetingjesusinelcallejon.blogspot.com/


2 comments:

  1. SO yea, cry every time i read your posts...cant wait for sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be there, cheering you on, but know I'll be lifting you up! God is so good, and He is already doing amazing things in you and through you! Amor/Fe/Esperanza & Gozo, kjs :O)

    ReplyDelete