Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pinch Me

Pinch me.  Please.  No really.  Otherwise I don't know if I can truly believe that I am waking to my third Saturday in the DR.  Wow.  Wow. 

On Monday I started language school.  People told me it would be exhausting.  That my brain would hurt.  That I would need a nap after four hours of one-on-one tutoring.  As usual, headstrong Rachel shrugged these "warnings" off....and my butt has been kicked.  When you are sitting with a language tutor there is no daydreaming, there is no mental break, you constantly have to be on; and let me tell you- I love to let my mind wander.  I also had the pre-conceived notion that if I could make it through grueling PA school, language would be nothing.  Admittedly, my confidence got the best of me and I have already been humbled.  But, I am pleased to say that I am having fun while being reminded of how little I truly know.  I am consistently amazed by how patient Dominicans are with Americans attempting to learn their language.  I still don't know how I will possibly be fluent enough in January to open a clinic and start a community health site!  But, as with everything else....trust I will, or at least try my hardest.  We know this is one of my greatest challenges :)

In conversing with several friends and family members this week, and answering the age old questions- How are you?  What's new?  I realized I needed to share with everyone a list of the top ten things that are different/take forever to accomplish in the Dominican compared to the States (or norteamericana).  So, here's my stab at it....


Top Ten Lifestyle Differences in the DR

(1)  Shower- I have not truly had a warm shower since arriving in the DR.  Dominicans prefer a cool shower (which when the temp is in the 90s and humidity is as close to 100% as it can get I suppose you understand why).  But, if I want to attempt to have a warm shower I can turn on the water heater, which takes at least an hour to achieve lukewarm water.  I truly am American as I always forget to turn the heater on- so a shower is very quick and consists of jumping in and out.  Brrrr.  When I do remember to turn the heater on, I usually forget to turn it off- which consumes quite a bit of expensive electricity.  I have been scolded several times for this.

(2) Coffee- we use a small metal "kettle" over the gas stove.  It takes about 15 minutes, and you have to keep an eye on it.  There will be no fires here!!  Especially without a fire alarm and fire station, ya know those "must haves" we take for granted.

(3) Electricity- consistently goes out for several hours every day.  But, I would much rather that than at night....sleeping without a fan is tough.

(4) Cockroaches, lizards, ants, mice....everywhere!!  They love to be inside when we have tropical storms.  And...since we live in cinder block homes there are no walls for them to hide!

(5) Driving.  There are zero rules of the road.  Seriously.  People usually stop at stop signs.  Occasionally follow the two stop lights in town.  But, it's pretty much a free for all.  Which leads to cars, motos, dogs, people and the occasional cow all over the place.  Pretty wild.

(6) Toilet Paper....never to be thrown in the toilet.  Ever.  Enough said.

(7) Agua.  I've alluded to the fact that we cannot drink our water.  But even for cooking we have to soak all fruits and veggies in purified water and bleach.  And while brushing teeth.  Must keep mouth shut in shower.  Let it be known if I ever end up sick with a parasite it's because I forget to close my mouth while bathing.

(8) Food goes bad in a day or two....which means multiple trips to the markets and panederia.  And I hate grocery shopping.  But after two weeks of PB&J and Yocastas concern that I do not know how to cook, I'm adding food shopping to my daily routine.

(9) Locks, gates and keys.  There are 3 locks and padlocks to get into my house.  Which is fun with groceries.  And most houses have a gate on the outside of their yard.  So you have to drive up, jump outta your car and open the gate then jump back in, drive, jump out and close the gate.  Time intensive...and not fun in the rain. :)

(10) Car wash.  We all know I have an awesome "new" (to me) car.  It's pretty dirty.  I know things get dirty here.  But it's someone elses dirt, which is just different from my own dirt.  So, I wanted to get it cleaned.....ya know washed and perhaps vacuumed.  Guess how long....3 hours!!  Guess who hasn't done it yet because I can't wrap my head around it taking that long??  Haha.  Dirt vs time.  Which will win?

Hope this gives everyone some images of my day-to-day challenges.  Over-all I believe I'm transitioning very well.  I am so grateful to Christ for all of your support and His continued provision.  The SI missionaries have truly embraced me and really helped to ease my way into this ministry and life here.

On Thursday we had a national holiday due to the inauguration of our new President.  I had the awesome opportunity of hiking one of the surrounding mountains.....here's the view from the top!


No comments:

Post a Comment