Friday, August 24, 2012

Much more available to those who ask

" Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock and the door will be open for you."  Matthew 7:7

Sometimes I marvel at how prayers are answered.  How a puzzle is formed with many different pieces that God has intricately placed in various areas of our lives that are magically woven together to create a miracle, or an answered prayer.  This is the story of how God used many people months ago to heal un nino precioso (c'mon, I am in Spanish class).  Please bare with me and be blessed by our Saviour and how he listens to the heart of a mother crying out for her son.

Meet Julian.  He is a vibrant, energetic, happy two year old who fell from a ladder last year.  He broke his lower left leg, both the tibia and fibula.  He was placed in a yeso (caste) for 6 weeks and told he needed to wait until he was five for surgery.  Perhaps his small body would correct his malalignment.  Time went by and his difficulty ambulating worsened and his tiny leg continued to deviate medially at a 30-45 degree angle....which is a lot (too many med terms??).  Clearly his leg could not be corrected on its own.  It is concerning when a child is that young to have a limp for so long as his entire body started malaligning creating compensations in muscle, tendons and the beginning of scoliosis.  Yet, again the Dominican orthopedists wanted to wait.  Julian desperately needed to see a pediatric orthopedic surgeon, which is extremely difficult to come by.

Left leg malalignment

Notice the complete shift of the Left bony structures
 



Connect Julian with Marsha.  Marsha was my Mom's sorority sister in college.  We have never met.  But, God led us to each other and when she found that Christ was leading me to the DR she became one of my first supporters.  In addition we have formed a Godly relationship and she has served as an immense encouragement to both myself and ministry.  Marsha lives in North Carolina and has led many religious retreats.  Several years back she met a Physician, Dr. Beemer who left his practice to serve with the Christian Ministry- Cure in Santo Domingo.  She graciously placed us in touch with each other.

Dr. Beemer and I began emailing in May.  He had been relocated to Honduras a year ago to begin a hospital and no longer served in the DR.  Wonderful that medical missionaries are spreading to other countries, but not worthwhile for us to connect.  Or so I thought. 

Last Monday I began my first day of Spanish class with Catalina.  She is the mother of Julian.  When I saw her son I gently asked for details.  Catalina had been praying and praying for a year how to help her son.  She intrinsically knew waiting was not ideal.  That if he didn't have surgery soon, he may forever be impaired.  A physical disability is debilitating anywhere, but especially in a developing country where blue collar and hard labor prevails.

But, she simply couldn't trust the opinion of the Doctors she had seen.  Her only hope was saving money and traveling to Germany to hopefully see a pediatric orthopedist, as Julian's father is German.  This plan would take years.

Catalina and Julian

Backtrack to Dr. Beemer, who "just happened" to be asked to spend the month of August back in Santo Domingo at Cure's hospital.  Hmmm, I thought.  And so, I did a little research.  Cure is a ministry that takes care of children with bony deformities and traumatic injuries (Cure.org).  A smile began forming on my face as I spoke to Dr. Beemer and realized that he in fact is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon.  He would only be in the country until Friday August 24 but if I could get Julian to the capital he would see what he could do.

On Tuesday August 21; Catalina, Julian and I made the trek to Santo Domingo and met Dr. Beemer.  Wednesday August 22 at 5 am we returned to the capital and Julian underwent surgery, by an experienced pediatric orthopedic surgeon for 1/10 of the cost it would be elsewhere.

waiting for surgery!

Still a little sleepy from anesthesia

Madre y hijo!

Discharged!

Friends, we serve an unbelievably loving God who hears us. 

"You receive the healing that flows naturally from My Presence, whether you seek it or not.  But there is more- much more- available to those who ask."  Jesus Calling by Sarah Young

He hears the cry of a mother as she is yearning for healing of her son.  He places the correct people in our lives before we even understand their purpose.  He opens doors and opportunities, if we just listen.

This story is overwhelming, powerful and humbling.  Selfishly, I needed to be involved in medicine.  I needed this encouragement to continue studying Spanish (languages are definitely not my forte).  I needed to know that I'm where He wants me.  And, I can confidently say, if helping Julian walk and have a normal life is my only purpose here then the last couple years of preparation was worth it.  But, I know the plans He has for my ministry are great.  And I know over and over again, I will be reminded of the one that we choose to love and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool to see the Lord using your talents to help the people of the DR! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete