Monday, August 6, 2012


Rachel,
I am hoping you will find this letter worthy to share with your supporters as they are responsible for some valuable lessons I have learned.
Love,
Mom

 
Insights I have gained watching my daughter go through the fundraising process to become a full time missionary:
 
An Open Letter to my Daughter,
How many times during the past two years have I heard you exclaim "I can't believe I am still here!  I want to be in the Dominican Republic where God wants me to be!"?  After two years of "wanting to be there", you are!  You arrived in the Dominican Republic one week ago.  I now know one reason God kept you here for 2 years - it was for me, to prepare my heart.  Two years ago I would have sent you off with sadness and worry, last week I said goodbye with a bit of sadness, but an overwhelming sense of peace, trust, and joy. Rachel, you are where you are supposed to be.  I believe it with my heart.
I want to share some of the revelations to come my way these past two years.

It took me a while to become accustomed to saying "my daughter is a medical missionary".  In fact, I used to accentuate the medical part because it felt weird to say missionary out loud as a profession. People can relate easily to a medical provider, they can't relate as well to a missionary. It would seem to me a missionary would be raised in an exceptionally strong Christian family.  Us? Your father and I? I am a believer, I am involved in my church, I do read the Bible, but I fall far short of the ability to raise a "missionary"!  I lay credit to all the believers God has placed in your life through the different stages of growth.  When a child is baptized, the congregation is asked to assume a responsibility for faith building in that child.  I thank God for all the people who said Yes to God through their faith building actions in your life.  Next time I am present at a baptism, as I, too say those words they will take on new meaning.
 
You would come home after a fundraising event and say, "Mom, I am so tired of people thinking I'm amazing. I'm just doing what God wants me to do."  We would laugh and I would reply kiddingly "Next time tell them about the attitude you have with your mother sometimes!"  Truly though, what makes you appear amazing is that you ARE saying Yes to God.  You are LOVING God first as he commanded.  That is all too rare in the world we live in.  It is my prayer that you will continue saying Yes and continue loving God first throughout your life.  May I do the same.
 
When you began fundraising, your father and I were very uncomfortable.  Ask our friends for money, our families?  You asked for names and I would only give a partial list, we had our own "do not call" list. Remember?  We couldn't get over the notion that missionaries needed to fund raise everything!  We frustrated you time and time again, when we would say things like "you have to pay for your flight there? you have to raise money for medical insurance?" on and on.  In a society like ours and in a family where we have come to expect to be compensated for our profession, it was difficult to wrap our heads around this concept. It is thanks to your supporters that we finally got it.  To witness their belief that God was working through you was incredible.  Some of your supporters don't even know you, but they were nudged by God to contribute and did so.  Initially, it was a no-brainer for us to become one of your monthly sponsors, you're our child.  When I first wrote out the checks it was because we wanted to take care of you.  Now I write them out as one of your supporters who believes God is working through you.  In the years to come, when I see other missionaries in need I pray I won't silence a nudge from God to offer support.  
Incidentally, there isn't a "do not call" list any longer...
 
Finally, a few months ago, I had a long talk with God.  I was kind of angry because I kind of liked our first dream.  You know the one where you lived nearby and  I had grandchildren to spoil.  Because honestly, one of my fears is that your commitment of 3 years could lead to a life of overseas missions.  So I was pretty angry at the whole situation and I expressed this to God.  I even insinuated that I just loved you so much that this was pretty darn unfair.  Through the next week God showed me He loved you MORE. The way all the events of your journey to the DR have unfolded, the people He has put in your path, the blessings bestowed along the way, only God could have paved this way.  It has been amazing to witness this journey.  As a parent I would do anything for you, but God can do MORE.  You are in God's loving hands, you always have been. I am choosing to trust God.
 
I know there will be times when we miss one another deeply, but always remember you go with my love and great joy that you are following God's call.
Love,
Mom xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment